“To clasp the hands in prayer
is the beginning of an uprising
against the disorder of the world.”
+ Karl Barth
We are invited by the God of the universe to pray.
Ephesians 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lordʼs people.
Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
1 Thess 5 Pray without ceasing
James 5 The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
1 John 5:14-15 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we —we know that we have what we asked of him.
A PRAYER GUIDE by Zach Hoag
- LISTENING PRAYER:What is God saying to us, and what are we doing about it?
- Jesus only did what the Father told him to do: John 5:19-20.
- The sheep know the Shepherd’s voice: John 10:1-6.
- The Holy Spirit will speak the words of Jesus and remind us of what he has said: John 14:25-27.
- The Spirit will guide us into all truth: John 16:12-15.
- “Standing watch” to hear God’s voice: Habbakkuk 2:1.
- Hearing his voice requires establishing a spiritual connection – kind of like a wireless internet connection. You have to intentionally quiet other voices and zero in on his voice; quiet voices of duty, temptation, distraction, analysis, and accusation or guilt.
- This can happen anywhere, but it’s an intentional choice to get in synch with the Spirit and not the flesh.
- We learn to know his voice, as opposed to other voices, over time. His voice is always in line with the Word, and it is always in line with what he is saying to the local Church corporately.
- GRATEFUL PRAYER: How are we walking constantly in prayerful thanksgiving to God?
- Always give thanks: Ephesians 5:20.
- Always giving thanks is fundamentally about the character of God – we decide to believe that he is good at all times, loving in every way, and powerfully at work to preserve and prosper his church, and each of us, until the day of full salvation and rescue (resurrection): Jeremiah 29:11, Ephesians 3:20-21, &Jude 1:24.
- Always giving thanks is not merely responsive – it is preemptive. It is a decision to see everything as part and parcel of the larger tapestry of God’s redemptive work in your life.
- All things work together for good, and that’s why we give thanks: Romans 8:28.
- PRAYING FOR THE CHURCH: Do we feel a mandate to pray for Sanctuary?
- Here’s what we should be praying: Ephesians 1:15-23.
- How would you guys feel about coming to early morning prayer time during the week?
- PRAYING INTO GOD’S MISSION:Are we seeking the Spirit’s leading for moving into powerful encounters with people?
- The Spirit will both allow and prevent us from doing things. And we, too, can see “men from Macedonia”! The result: FRUIT: Acts 16:1-15.
- Are there any examples of this kind of being led by the Spirit into mission rather than simply following obligations or good intentions?
Two prayers for our church and our city.
Lord, I have heard of your fame;
I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord.
Repeat them in our day,
in our time make them known;
in wrath remember mercy.
+ Habakkuk 3:2
In Providence as it is in heaven.